Trump order targets pro-Palestinians to combat antisemitism
US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order aimed at combating antisemitism, particularly on college campuses.
The order directs federal agencies to take action against antisemitic discrimination, vandalism, and violence, calling it an “unprecedented wave” of harassment.
unbranded – Newsworthy
WASHINGTON − The Trump administration is pulling about $400 million in federal funds from Columbia University, citing the school’s “continued inaction in the face of persistent harassment of Jewish students,” the Department of Education and other agencies announced Friday.
Columbia has been at the center of college protests in which demonstrators demanded an end to U.S. support for Israel due to the civilian deaths and humanitarian crisis caused by Israel’s assault on Gaza.
There were allegations of antisemitism and Islamophobia in protests and counterprotests. Columbia has previously said it made efforts to tackle antisemitism.
Student demonstrations have continued to roil the Columbia campus as well as that of its affiliate, Barnard College.
President Donald Trump announced earlier this week his intent to stop funding for colleges and schools that allow “illegal” protests. The move is one of many his administration has taken in scrutinizing institutions for how they responded to pro-Palestinian protests by students.
The multi-agency antisemitism task force said Friday the canceled grants and contracts are step one in reprimands for Columbia and that “additional cancellations are expected to follow.”
Contributing: Reuters