‘Tesla Takedown:’ Protesters rally outside Tesla dealerships across US
Protesters organized nationwide against Tesla CEO and White House adviser Elon Musk.
An Idaho man faces one count of aggravated battery after police alleged that he struck a man with his car at the same time as a protest at a Tesla showroom in Meridian.
The Meridian Police Department alleged in a press release that Christopher Talbot, 70, made an obscene gesture at the unnamed victim − who officials characterized as a counter-protestor − and struck him after he exited his vehicle. The department said the victim “had been driving a truck with pro-Trump flags.”
The victim drove himself to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, police said.
Court records show that bond for Talbot was set at $50,000 during an arraignment hearing Monday. It is unclear if Talbot has retained legal counsel.
Charges come amidst anti-Musk backlash
The incident took place during a nationwide day of protest labeled “Tesla Takedown” by organizers.
Meridian Police said about 30 protestors were met by about 200 counter-protestors.
The protests have come as Tesla’s CEO Elon Musk has injected himself into politics worldwide, supporting far right parties and candidates − including the reelection bid of President Donald Trump.
Musk, a senior White House adviser and the face of the Department of Government Efficiency, has alleged that “terrorism” is behind a wave of vandalism against vehicles made by the company.
He has been backed by the Trump Administration, with Attorney General Pam Bondi saying that “the days of committing crimes without consequence have ended,” in a statement accompanying the charges against three individuals alleged to have used Molotov cocktails to set Tesla cars and charging stations on fire.
“Let this be a warning: if you join this wave of domestic terrorism against Tesla properties, the Department of Justice will put you behind bars,” Bondi said.